Cloud Computing - Online services & resources
August 10, 2019
Cloud computing is the on-demand delivery of compute power, database, storage, applications, and other IT resources through the internet. Most of the online functionalities that required the user to buy a physical server can now be done through cloud services.
The services provided by cloud vendors include :
- Virtual Servers: These provide online computing power for your processing needs. Whether it’s for hosting a website, running multiplayer servers for your game or for running resource heavy Deep Learning models, these computers in the cloud will perform your tasks with ease. Using virtual servers, the time required to obtain and boot up new server instances can be reduced to minutes.
- Storage: Cloud vendors provide services where you can store digital information in a secure, durable and highly available environment. This includes files in any format, and the storage capacity scales up to petabytes.
- Database: Application databases can be mounted on the cloud. Cloud services support SQL, NoSQL, Ledger and graph databases. These databases can scale up and down according to your needs and can be accessed from anywhere on the web.
- Serverless: Upload and run your code on the cloud without worrying about servers (not even virtual ones). The cloud platforms handle the provisioning, scaling and maintaining of your servers while you can work on your awesome code. Serverless is infamous for mounting ground-breaking APIs and for automating intra-cloud architectures.
- Analytics: Cloud services are perfect for constructing data lakes and analyzing colossal data. Immense computing power and pre-destined workflows ensure efficient analysis results.
Application Development has never been easier. Your apps can be deployed in minutes and issues like server overloading and unavailability are a thing of the past. Cloud platforms like Heroku allows you to mount your apps and APIs with ease.
All the services mentioned above are usually provided on an on-demand, pay-as-you-go model. That is, you only pay for the cloud resources that you use. All the services scale according to your needs and is available all-year round.
We’ve seen a huge migration of computing power from self-hosted servers to the cloud. Modern technologies like machine learning and deep learning is hugely reliant on the cloud. In fact, 96% of all deep learning runs on the cloud and 85% of all TensorFlow projects run on AWS. Netflix and Amazon Prime Video uses AWS to get its content on to your screens. The state-of-the-art content delivery network architected by Hotstar on AWS made sure that more than 18 million people could see the IPL finals live.
The importance of cloud services is undisputed. They provide effective workflows to support and connect your web architectures - all while providing services at a low cost and significantly improving the time-to-market. Obtaining expertise in any of these cloud services can open your options for building your application designs and deliver you untapped processing power.
Docs and Thoughts for aspiring Cybernauts.
Written by Team KINEX